A Bill to make provision for ensuring that police forces in England and Wales have sufficient resources to deliver police services; and for connected purposes
Make provision to ensure that the police forces in England and Wales have sufficient resources to deliver police services; and for connected purposes.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) Section 46 of the Police Act 1996 (police grant) is amended as follows.
(2) After subsection (1), insert—
“(1A) In making grants under subsection (1), the Secretary of State has a duty to ensure that grant recipients have sufficient resources to—
(a) prevent crime;
(b) pursue and bring to justice those that break the law;
(c) keep the Queen’s Peace; and
(d) protect, help, and reassure the community.”
(3) After subsection (2), insert—
“(2A) The Secretary of State must include, in his considerations for the determination under subsection (2)—
(a) the latest police and crime plans prepared by police and crime commissioners for all police forces;
(b) the latest report from the independent body appointed by the Secretary of State to evaluate the adequacy of funding for all police forces under section 2 of the Policing Resources Act 2017 (independent body to report annually on the adequacy of grants for police forces); and
(c) the need for contingency funding for police forces dealing with exceptional major incidents involving multiple victims.”
(4) After subsection (9), insert—
“(10) In this section “police and crime plans” has the same meaning as in section 7 of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 (police and crime plans).”
(1) Within the period of six months, beginning with the day on which this Act is passed, the Secretary of State must appoint an independent body to review annually and report on the adequacy of the police grant made by the Secretary of State under section 46 of the Police Act 1996 (police grant).
(2) The annual reviews undertaken by the independent body in subsection (1) must consider—
(a) the extent to which grants made under section 46 of the Police Act 1996 (police grant) comply with section 46(1A) of that Act;
(b) the extent to which grants for expenditure on safeguarding national security under section 48 of the Police Act 1996 (grants for expenditure on safeguarding national security) are sufficient to meet their aims.
(1) This Act extends to England and Wales only.
(2) This Act comes into force at the end of the period of 2 months, beginning with the day on which this Act is passed.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Policing Resources Act 2017.