A Bill to amend the House of Lords Act 1999 so as to abolish the system of by-elections for hereditary Peers.
Amend the House of Lords Act 1999 so as to abolish the system of by-elections for hereditary peers.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) Section 2 of the House of Lords Act 1999 (exception from section 1) is amended as follows.
(2) For subsection (2) substitute—
“(2) No more than 92 people at any one time shall be excepted from section 1.”
(3) For subsection (4) substitute—
“(4) Any vacancy resulting from the death, retirement, resignation or expulsion of an excepted person under subsection (2) after the day on which the House of Lords (Hereditary Peers) (Abolition of By-Elections) Act 2017 comes into force is not to be filled by further exception.”
(1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) This Act may be cited as the House of Lords (Hereditary Peers) (Abolition of By-Elections) Act 2017.