A Bill to make provision for disability equality and for the provision of balanced information in respect of abortions
Make provision for disability equality and for the provision of balanced information in respect of abortions.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) The Abortion Act 1967 is amended as follows.
(2) In section 1(1)(d), before the first “that” insert “that the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and”.
(3) In section 1, after subsection (2) insert—
“(2A) Before a termination is proceeded with under section 1(1)(d)—
(a) the parents of that child must be given full and accurate information regarding all options following a prenatal diagnosis of disability, including the keeping of that child, and
(b) this information must include information from disability family support groups and organisations led and controlled by disabled persons.”
(4) Omit section 5(2)(a).
(5) In section 5(2)(b)—
(a) omit “other”, and
(b) for “applies” substitute “apply”.
(1) This Act extends to England and Wales only.
(2) This Act comes into force at the end of the period of two months beginning with the day on which this Act is passed.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Abortion (Disability Equality) Act 2017.