A Bill to make provision for non-interest-bearing student finance facilities.
Make provision for non-interest-bearing student finance facilities.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) The Teaching and Higher Education Act 1998 is amended as follows.
(2) After section 22 (new arrangements for giving financial support to students) insert—
(1) The Secretary of State must, by regulations made by statutory instrument, make available non-interest-bearing loans or other non-interest-bearing financing facilities to students as an alternative to other student financing facilities under this Act.
(2) The financing facilities made available under subsection (1) must have the same objectives, purposes and level of accessibility as, and must not be significantly more or less advantageous than, any other student financing available under this Act.””
(3) In section 42(4) (orders and regulations) after “section 22” insert “or any regulations made under section 22A”.
(1) This Act extends to England only.
(2) Section 1 comes into force at the end of the period of two months beginning with the day on which this Act is passed.
(3) This section comes into force on the day on which this Act is passed
(4) This Act may be cited as the Student Support (Non-Interest-Bearing Finance) Act 2016.