A Bill to increase the maximum sentences available to the court for stalking offences; and for connected purposes.
Increase the maximum sentences available to the court for stalking offences; and for connected purposes.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) Section 4A of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (Stalking involving fear of violence or serious alarm or distress) is amended as follows.
(2) In paragraph (a) of subsection (5), for the words “five years” substitute “ten years”.
(1) This Act extends to England and Wales.
(2) This Act comes into force at the end of a period of 6 months beginning with the day on which this Act is passed.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Stalking (Sentences) Act 2017.