A Bill to create a right to die at home.
Create a right to die at home.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) The Secretary of State shall by regulations make provision for any eligible person resident in the United Kingdom to have an effective right to die at home or at the place that the person regards as home.
(2) Regulations under this section must—
(a) provide that if a person informs their General Practitioner (GP) that they wish to die at home or the place they regard as home, the GP must clearly record this information in the person’s medical records;
(b) provide that health and care staff shall be required to implement and facilitate the wish of a person to die at home or the place they regard as home;
(c) define “home” and “the place that the person regards as home”;
(d) define who is eligible for the right, including who is regarded as resident in the United Kingdom for this purpose;
(e) in defining who is eligible for the right, provide that the right becomes effective if an attending doctor considers that the person is likely to die within three months;
(f) require the Secretary of State to provide statutory guidance for health and care services on the effective implementation of the right; and
(g) allow the Secretary of State to take such other actions as the Secretary of State deems appropriate to support the exercise of the right.
(3) Once regulations have been made under this section, the Secretary of State shall promote public awareness of the right.
(4) Regulations under this section must be made by statutory instrument, and may not be made unless a draft of the instrument has been laid before and approved by a resolution of each House of Parliament.
(1) This Act extends to England only.
(2) This Act comes into force on the day on which it is passed.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Right to Die at Home Act 2016.