A Bill to amend the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 to make provision about the number and size of parliamentary constituencies in the United Kingdom; to specify how the size of a constituency is to be calculated; and for connected purposes.
Explanatory notes to the Bill, prepared by Pat Glass, are published separately as Bill 9—EN.
Amend the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 to make provision about the number and size of parliamentary constituencies in the United Kingdom; to specify how the size of a constituency is to be calculated; and for connected purposes.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
In paragraph 1 of Schedule 2 to the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 (rules for distribution of seats), for “600” substitute “650”.
(1) Schedule 2 to the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 (rules for distribution of seats) is amended as follows.
(2) For paragraph 2(1) substitute—
“(1) The electorate of any constituency shall be—
(a) no less than 90% of the United Kingdom electoral quota, and
(b) no more than 110% of that quota.”
(3) In paragraph 2(3) for “596” substitute “646”.
(4) After paragraph 5(3) insert—
“(4) For the purposes of calculating the electorate of the United Kingdom the calculation shall be based on registers of parliamentary electors published in or after 2017.”
(5) In paragraph 7(2)(a) for “95%” substitute “90%”.
(6) In paragraph 7(2)(b) for “105%” substitute “110%”.
(1) Section 3 of the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 (reports of the commissions) is amended as follows.
(2) For subsection (2) there is substituted—
“(2) A Boundary Commission shall submit reports under subsection (1) above periodically—
(a) before 1st October 2018, and
(b) before 1st October of every tenth year after that.”
There is to be paid out of money provided by Parliament—
(a) any expenditure incurred under or by virtue of this Act, and
(b) any increase attributable to this Act in the sums payable under any other Act out of money so provided.
This Act extends to England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The provisions of this Act come into force on the day on which this Act is passed.
This Act may be cited as the Parliamentary Constituencies (Amendment) Act 2017.