A Bill to extend public access to certain local audit documents under section 26 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014.
Explanatory notes to the Bill, prepared by the Department for Communities and Local Government with the consent of Wendy Morton, the Member in charge of the Bill, are published separately as Bill 31—EN.
Extend public access to certain local audit documents under section 26 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) Section 26 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014 (inspection of documents etc) is amended as follows.
(2) In subsection (1) (persons who can inspect accounting records and related documents) after “persons interested” insert “or any journalist”.
(3) After that subsection insert—
“(1A) In subsection (1) “journalist” means any person who produces for publication journalistic material (whether paid to do so or otherwise).”
(1) This Act comes into force at the end of the period of 2 months beginning with the day on which this Act is passed.
(2) This Act extends to England and Wales only.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Local Audit (Public Access to Documents) Act 2016.